How to make your own website for free with your own URL
You may have discovered that building a website will cost you money. But I want to show you how to:
- Build your own website free
- What post on your website
- How to choose your own URL
- When and how to upgrade your website
- Recommended tools you should use to get traffic to your website
The platform that I have chosen to build my website is WordPress. WordPress is one of the most effective and versatile platforms to use to build a website. All the websites that I have built so far have been done through the WordPress platform. I recommend that you follow along with me and build your website as I do mine.
Step #1: Identify the purpose of your website
You cannot build a successful website without knowing the reason for which you are building it in the first place. This will help you later when begin adding content to your website. You can do a variety of things with your own website including but, not limited to:
- Promoting your local business
- Building a blog
- Affiliate marketing
- A website for your organization
- Sell products
- Sell services
Once you have your why and decided a name for your website. Go over to WordPress.com to begin building your site.
After clicking on the get started tab you will enter information relevant to the purpose your website. I wanted to build a website that I could use to sell services, market tools and share information that I have used to help me.
Step #2: Choose a domain name for your website
Since I wantedto build my website for free, I will choose a domain name that I do not have to pay for. However, there are some cons to this.
- Your website does not look as legitimate
- Has extra characters in the address
- Posts will not quickly rank in google
- Your website will be listed as a WordPress subdomain (Ex:stcmarketing572315438Wordpress.com)
- If your website will have WordPress Ad’s displayed
Step #3: Choose a plan
You can easily avoid all the cons by purchasing your own domain name at the cost of 4 cents a day (14$ to 16$ a year). When you use the WordPress platform for free, you will also have WordPress ads on display on your site and be included under a WordPress subdomain. You can easily get have your own domain, without ads, by choosing one of the paid plans. You can always upgrade to a paid plan later. If you decide to upgrade to a paid plan, I would recommend choosing a premium.
With premium, you get everything you need to build a great website for 100$ a year or $0.26 cents a day. Access to all the premium themes and the choice to design the website that you want. Another cool feature included along with premium is the feature that allows you to accept PayPal payments. So not only can you make money from your website by selling products or services. But you could easily cover the cost to maintain your website quite easily. You could also monetize your website in other ways by using affiliate links in your content. I will talk more about affiliate marketing later in the post.
With free, you get access to basic features offered in the word press platform. This gets you a functional site that you can post content on, except for videos. You can choose from any of the free themes that are offered. I recommend only staying with this option if you just want something to experiment with or to see if using WordPress would be a good fit for you.
With Personal, You get the same amount access to themes as when you did with the free account. But now you no longer have WordPress ad’s being displayed on your website and you have your own website domain. You also get 6gb of storage within your website. This means that you can have bigger high-quality photos that you can include on your website. Bigger images do not mean your website will load slower nor will your images. This is because of a plugin called jetpack, already built into your website within any plan that you choose.
- I’d choose this option if you want to see if you liked the free option, but you did not want to see the WordPress ads, or you wanted your own domain.
With Business, you get access to the best features that WordPress has to offer. Choosing the business plan does not mean you have the best website without any work or effort. With the business plan, you will have access to the best tools that will allow you to create the best website possible. You should consider your website as an asset. An asset is anything that generates revenue. This plan allows you to create a revenue-generating asset.
- You get access to live courses, I didn’t know how to build successful websites. I learned how to from people that already done so. Learning from experts is one of the most valuable tools you can have when building successful websites. When you start to apply this knowledge, is when you start seeing the benefits of doing so.
- Unlimited everything, If you plan on building a big website, you’re going to need a lot of space to store all that information. The business plan gives unlimited storage so you can upload all the videos, podcasts, pictures that you want at no extra cost to you. You will also be able to choose from any of the premium themes that you want. This plan truly does not put a limit on what you can do.
- Access to SEO tools, SEO stands for search engine optimization. SEO is a value for anyone who wants to generate organic traffic from google searches. For example, Google is a search engine that helps millions of users find information that might be helpful to them. In order to do this, Google uses robots to go through websites and ranks information based on relevant search terms and keywords within a website. SEO tools help your website become more searchable within google. Allowing you to gain more traffic as your website grows.
- Ability to create your own themes, If you find themes that you would like to use, but are not complete what you want. You can create your own themes for others to use or just for you. You get complete control over how you want your website to look.
- Access to google analytics, analytics, allow you to track your progress. Once you begin to generate traffic to your website, you want to know how many visitors are coming to your website. Not only that, you get to see how much time people are spending on your website and where people are spending that time. Analytic give you valuable feedback that tells you what people are interested in, what content might need improvement, what is working and not working. Having analytics, built into your website is an essential tool for any website to have.
- Ability to install plugins, think of plugins as they were expansion packs. Plugins expand the capabilities of your website way beyond what you can do on its own. For example, if you want to create an eCommerce store online along with your original website. I would recommend installing a plugin called Woocomerce. Woocomerce is a plugin that turn’s your website into an eCommerce platform. This is a paid plugin that you can use with multiple sites or just one. They have all kinds of plugins that range from scheduling events, creating paid subscription services. Woocomerce allows you to further monetize your website without the use of ads.
Step #4: Build out your website
Now that you at least have a foundation on what you want to base your website around. Let’s work on your content, ask your self why would people want to visit your website. What does your website offer that helps them get what they want? Does it offer useful information, useful tools or services, or does your website showcase products that your audience might like. This is what you should base your content around. Yes, you want to make your website profitable but, the best way to make your website profitable is put other peoples needs before yours. This helps to build trust with people who visit your website.
Play the game this way, you will end up always on top. “Believe it!”
If you want to see the tools I use to build traffic to my website. Check out my guide “How to build traffic with these secrets“.
If you want to learn how to make money from your website, check out this post” How to make money blogging for free“
Lastly, if this post helped you or if you have any questions. Let me know by leaving a comment below. Have an awesome day guys!